Students in the Co-op Program must register for one of the three Co-op courses each working semester. Students are not allowed to participate in the Co-op Program without taking the Co-op courses.
Technical Elective Credits
The number of technical elective credits earned through the Co-op Program depends on the number of semesters you work with your Co-op employer.
- The first course and third courses, are worth two credits.
- The second course is writing intensive and is worth four credits.
- The classes must be taken in sequence.
- The Co-op courses are REQUIRED for all Co-op students.
Students must complete at least the 2-semester sequence to receive the technical elective credits. Ideally, students complete a third semester of work for a total of 8 credits.
Students who work only one semester and take only the first course will not receive any usable technical elective credits. The credits will revert to general elective credits.
Co-op grades are based on the coursework (writing, professionalism, etc). Good performance on the job, while required, is not considered in assigning a grade for the course. More details can be found in the course syllabi (click on the links in the table below).
Receiving an incomplete grade jeopardizes a student’s continuation in the program.
Getting an Incomplete grade means that it will not be possible to register for the next course in the Co-op sequence until the incomplete has been satisfied.
The sequence of the Co-op courses cannot be altered.
- Co-op courses must be taken concurrently with the work experience
- Registration may not be delayed, nor may the class be taken before or after the work term.
- You cannot take two Co-op courses in the same semester.
It is not possible to take a full course load during a Co-op work semester, although some students do take an additional evening or online course.
- If you want to take two or more courses, in addition to the Co-op course, during any work term, you need to get permission from the Co-op Director.
All of the coursework instruction will be conducted through the course's Canvas site. The Canvas course site will become live a few weeks before the start of the semester, if you'd like to get a jumpstart on the coursework.
EE/IE/ME3041 or BMEn 4896
EE/IE/ME4043W or BMEn 4996W
|Optional 3rd semester|